Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Fockers Meet the Griswolds




I know there are probably other things I could be writing about tonight, but really the only thing I can think about is the momentous event that is about to occur. I've scrubbed the oven, mopped all the floors, sanitized the bathroom, and washed the linens. That's right, the folks are coming for a visit. Whose folks? Why, both as a matter of fact!
My parents and Joe's parents are finally coming together to meet this weekend, and while I love seeing both sets of parents, it will be the first time they will be meeting each other.
I've asked around to other unmarried couples to find out if their parents had met each other. Surprisingly, it wasn't that uncommon; some of their parents even hang out with each other. So while I kept trying to keep myself calm, and tell myself it wasn't a big deal, my friend Ashley would read my mind and express the emotions I was trying to suppress.

"Your parents are meeting Joe's parents?? Oooh, thats such a big deal! Are you nervous?"

I don't know why I feel like it's such a big deal. My parents met my first boyfriend's parents back when I was in high school. Of course, I guess the difference is that our area is small, and they were already friends with my aunt and uncle so it wasn't a huge leap.

Plus, being a high school romance, it was a point of fact that our relationship wasn't going to last forever, so the meeting must not have carried as much weight. This, on the other hand, after 7 years, is just a touch more serious.

I know I shouldn't be paranoid or worried. Joe's parents are awesome and so are mine. I guess it's the same feeling you get when you introduce a childhood friend to your new friends. You can't pull any punches because your longtime friend can call you on it. My parents have known me my whole life, witnessing my best and brattiest moments. Joe's parents, however, I think have only seen my best behavior (well, except for those moments of drunkenness, but I think they forgive me for that, haha).
I know it will go well. I know everyone will get along and we'll have a wonderful bonding weekend. But what does happen? Find out on Monday with the Parents Weekend Wrap-Up.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh! I was a nervous wreck when Julian and my parents met for the first time-it was right after our college graduation we all had dinner together and I was sweating it out. My mother, as you probably know Kristen is a loud and proud east coast Italian mama, while my dad is a man of VERY few words, and those words are usually an embarrassing attempt at being funny. Julian's parents, from Boulder Colorado, may as well have been from another planet, as their quiet, polite, soft spoken demeanor was so foreign to my family.
    The dinner ended up going well, all things considered...only minor offenses made by my dad's blonde and ethnic jokes. It sounds like You and Joe's parents will do just fine in a room together! Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, oh man Jill, that's hilarious. Your parents really are so outgoing, it's funny to imagine them next to a reserved kind-of couple. And it's nice to know I'm not alone in getting freaked out by "the meeting" thing, lol.

    ReplyDelete