Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday


I didn't have a particular subject in mind today, however, as I was going about my day there were certain things I noticed and would like to comment on.

1. There is nothing scarier than making a left hand turn into a busy intersection and you have to sneeze. I was making one such turn this morning, onto York Road, which anyone can tell you, is plenty busy during rush hour. I was making the left, and suddenly felt the comings-on of a sneeze. Helpless, I hoped it would pass but of course it didn't. Luckily, I've been doing this same drive for a few weeks now so I can make the turn...even with my eyes closed. Still, though it's just for a brief second, I (and others who fear for their lives on the road) have a mini panic-attack thinking that in that time someone will come whizzing by and smash into me. I know it's pretty far-fetched but wouldn't you hate to be the one who died because you took your eyes off the road for a split second just to sneeze? I think that would be horribly sad and tragic. And is there any truth to that myth that you can't sneeze with your eyes open? I think I once heard someone say your eyes could explode, but that's all here say. And given the two options I guess I'd rather take my chances with a quick sneeze than forever blindness.
2. I think we might have reached a new milestone for laziness and stupidity in this country. Again, while on my commute today I was listening to a radio ad from Subway, and they were talking about their new breakfast menu. As I recall, the ad went something like, "We know you hate talking in the morning. So just point to what you'd like and we'll make it for you!" Wow. Now, I want to really believe this was for that grumpy demographic that hate getting up in the morning, but who also apparently hate even MORE having to physically move their lips and vocal chords in order to get food made for them. But I have to assume that it might also be for those who are illiterate and who, rather than read off a menu are now able to simply grunt and point to what they'd like to eat. I don't mean to be critical to those that simply were never able to learn to read, but instead for those that didn't bother to. I have little sympathy for those who choose not to help themselves, and speaking as a former English teacher, feel that kids today need all the encouragement to read and write they can get, and we should be helping that, and not catering to the problem as an advertising gimmick.


3. Nothing has shown me the effect of inflation more than the price of Wrigley's gum. Remember when a pack of Big Red was 25 cents? It was such a wonderful thing that they even printed it on the wrapper. But today, as I was purchasing a snack from the vending machines I bent down to pick up my selection and noticed the gum at the bottom row. I noticed the price for Double Mint gum was 65 cents! I know I am a cheap asshole, and granted the prices in vending machines are crock (a whole dollar for Ramen Cup-a-Noodles?!), but that really showed me how much prices have changed since I was a kid. Hell, I remember our local pharmacy selling candy bars for 50 cents, and now it's considered a sale item if it's 85 cents. Oh well, guess I'm already starting to sound like an old lady, who'll shake her finger and say, "I remember when Ramen noodles were only 10 cents a pack!"


Jeez, am I being too "deep thought-esque" and lecturing? I'll try to tone it down next week. I might have a good light story for tomorrow too, (unless I'm too hung over...)

1 comment: