Monday, August 9, 2010

Gullible's Travels


Ok, I have to relay this quick story. You know how people falling down or tripping is funny? Well, since today's post is kinda about embarrassment, I figured I'd share... I was at work listening to my head phones when someone came over to talk to me about something so I slid then down to my neck. After a while they left and when I got up to get something, BAM! My head pulled back and I was yanked right back to my seat. I then did the thing where you do something dumb and you look around to make sure no one else saw. Oh, well. Speaking of feeling bad...

You know that saying, "There's a fool born every minute"? That might've been coined in honor of me, one of THE most gullible people alive. I think it stems from my fear of doubting someone who might be insulted if I didn't believe them. Imagine this scenario...

Person 1: "My great grandmother had a wooden leg."

Me (thinking they're joking: "Hahah, that's awesome."

Person 1 (pauses): "No, she really did. She lost it in a car accident."

Me (trying to recover by making it sound like the most fascinating thing ever): "Oh WOW, how tragic..."

Now granted, that is a bit of an unusual case, but trust me, it's happened. Enough times in fact that now I figure it's safer to play the dumb, believable-type instead of the skeptic. The problem is when it backfires, which it occasionally does.

Case in point, back when we were kids my cousin informed me that we were so Irish we had an uncle who was a leprechaun. Unbelievable, right? Apparently not to me, as I became wide-eyed and mesmerized until my cousin told me later that she had been kidding. Even now she gets a kick out of retelling the story to me whenever we get together, and while I still die a little of embarrassment I have to simply own it...I'm a believer. And I continue to be one.

This past weekend was no exception. While out celebrating my friend Erica's departure to Boston, I listened to stories people told, and nodded my head knowingly or voiced my amazement-- not realizing when someone was just being dramatic or kidding. I tried to play it off cool, but I think I still ended up looking somewhat like an idiot.

Thankfully, though, I was amongst friends who either 1.) already knew how foolish I could be and 2.) didn't judge me for it. The worst is when I am around strangers and the words pop out of my mouth before I have a chance to stop and examine them. This embarrassing incident also happened this weekend.

Yesterday I noticed Georgia licking her front paw and saw that she had a split nail. Wanting to rid her of the pain as soon as possible I made an appointment for the pet clinic I always take her to. While she was on the examination table the nurse gently lifted her paw to get a better look, and said cheerfully, "Oh my, you are a magical dog, you have a horn growing out of your paw." Now, let me explain that I thought she meant a calcium/protein thing, not like an ACTUAL horn. But still I said in a nice high voice, "Reeally?" She paused and said, "No, I was just saying that to make the dog feel better..." "...Ohhhhh". Jesus, I wanted to grab the anesthesia myself and inhale until I passed out and then just be carried out of the office so I wouldn't have to look anyone in the eye.

Like I said, I can't help being a bit naive. I'm a person you could probably get to sign up or join anything (provided it was free, because I am ALSO a giant cheapskate). I try to be more critical but then THAT seems to bite me on the ass. All I can do I try to pass it off like I knew better, slap my palm to my forehead later when I'm alone, and of course, write about it for all the world to know...

No comments:

Post a Comment