Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Livin the Movie Dream Life...



When I was younger I used to have this book that was simply titled, "The IF Book." It was basically a small book loaded with hundreds (maybe thousands) of scenarios. 'If you could pull off any crime in history and get away with it, what would it be?' 'If you had to choose the last piece of music you could listen to before you die, what would it be?'


I always found it both incredibly useful and insightful; useful, because I was never short of a conversation starter, and insightful because I was always fascinated with the answers the people around me had to say.


One of my favorite scenarios was the question "If you could live the life of any movie character whose life would you want?" I pondered this question long and hard for many years, and my answer changed year after year. So I figured I'd share the lives I, at one point in my life, wish I could've had.


*NOTE- Not sure if I ever touched upon this topic before, but if so, sorry for the repeat...


1.) Mary, "There's Something About Mary"- I'm sure there aren't alot of girl that wouldn't love to have Mary's life. Afterall, her friend Tucker basically sums it up for us: she's beautiful, rich... plus has a killer body, loving family, cool job, is athletic, lives in Miami, and is desperately pursued by cute guys.


2.) Indiana Jones, "Raiders of the Lost Ark", et. al.- Yeah, I know what you're thinking...I'm not helping my case that I am, in fact, a heterosexual female. When my dad showed me the movie, "Raiders" I wasn't struck by how handsome and strong Indie was; I was struck by how much I wanted to BE him. Going on mysterious and meaningful adventures to places I'd never heard of, using a whip on bad guys, engaging in car chases, horse chases, boat chases, were all things I desperately wanted to do. So badly, in fact, that I temporarily planned to grow up and become an archaeologist (until my a-hole science teacher decided to burst my bubble, telling me I'd be throwing my money and life away).


3.) Belle, "Beauty and the Beast"- I fancied myself quite a reader when I was a kid. And by " a reader", I mean I religiously read the Sunday comics along with my Garfield and Far Side comic books. But that wasn't all I read. I actually enjoyed reading a bit and when I saw Belle in "Beauty and the Beast" I felt an instant kinship with her. She was the first "princess" in Disney that wasn't just a flat damsel in distress. Plus it didn't hurt that she was beautiful, too.


4.) Xena, "Xena: Warrior Princess"- I realize this was a television show, but I wanted to be Xena so bad when I was younger I have to include her. She was the first live-action female superhero I had ever known, and the fact that she wielded this big sword as bad-ass as any of her male counterparts was awesome (not to mention the fact that she was a PRINCESS on top of it!) Sure there were some moments when her pal Gabrielle appeared to be more than just her sidekick. Still, heroes for us girls are still too far and few between, and Xena wasn't a bad one to have.


Ok, I shared some heartfelt and downright embarrassing admissions here, so now it's your turn to answer the "if" question: "If YOU could live the life of any movie character, whose life would you want?"

2 comments:

  1. Here are my top 5:
    1. Princess Bride (Buttercup)- I would not mind being in a funny fairy tale and having someone who looks like a young Cary Elwes do all that for my love. “As you wish!” Hells yes.

    2. Alien (Ellen Ripley)- This is a terrifying situation that I would hope to never be in, but Ripley is so BAD ASS (especially in the sequel) you can’t help but admire her.

    3. Labyrinth (Sarah)- There are puzzles, weird creatures that could only be Jim Henson’s, and a singing David Bowie in a leotard with his junk hanging out. Forget that crying baby, I would’ve stayed and partied with the goblins.

    4. Back to the Future (Marty McFly)- He time travels…and gets to hang with Doc Brown who is brilliant but not hip in any time period.

    5. Dr. Who (the Dr)- I included a tv show too and why? Because it’s Dr. Who. Travels to different times, galaxies, and dimensions. Changes form every couple of years and always has companions. Can fix anything with a sonic screwdriver and travels in a telephone booth that is enormous inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your selections and I totally agree on most of them (I'm sure I'd agree completely, yet I have not seen Dr. Who OR Labyrinth but I aim to now!)

    ReplyDelete