Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Scary Movie


I love watching movies. Well, I should say, I enjoy watching happy movies.

The reason being is that when I watch a movie, I am instantly pulled into the movie, feeling whatever the characters are feeling. This is great when the characters are on a great adventure or in love...not so much when they are being chased by a chainsaw-wielding sicko.


What's worse is that those scary thoughts and fears stick with me for a long time, showing up at the worst possible times.

Yet, I try to be a good sport whenever Joe is in the mood for a good thriller. I compartmentalize the story after it's over and walk away from it saying the mantra, "It's just a movie. It's just a movie." But sometimes that's not enough to keep my brain from torturing me later on in scary situations...like tonight.

Joe was out at practice and my girlfriends had left so it was just me and Georgia in the house. I went upstairs, with Georgia right at my heels, to grab a quick shower before bed. I was about to hop in when I suddenly heard the loud bang of doors opening and closing. We've had some weird phenomena happen upstairs, anyway, so I'm already on edge. Then I tried to reason that perhaps the sounds were coming from our neighbor, whose wall we share and whose goings on we can usually hear. No, it was coming from inside our house!

I clutched a towel and, like those hundreds of idiot victims that stupidly walk right into danger, I open the door. I guess I figured, hopefully whoever is standing right outside the door will kill me pretty quickly, saving me the stress and anxiety of trying to get away.

"Georgia?" I call out. She isn't on our bed and she doesn't run up the stairs. Now my heart lurches in my throat and my brain immediately jumps to the thought that a psychopath has trapped the dog somewhere to keep her from notifying me that he's there. He's waiting in one of the rooms to pop out and kill me.

I suddenly hear her whimper and now I think the psycho has hurt her to keep her quiet. But the whimper came from the guest room...which has it's door shut. I call her name again, and this time I can see her little paws hovering around inside the room.

It's then with a delighted sigh that I realize the damn dog had gone inside the guest room and when the door shut behind her she had gotten herself stuck. She was whimpering because she couldn't open the door to get out.

I release her from her self-made prison and gleefully cup her face in my hands, relieved I wasn't headed for a slasher-film conclusion. This movie had a silly comedy twist to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment