Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hearts on Fire?- Part2: The Smooth Operator



I hightailed it to the nearest walk-in clinic, holding my hand to my chest and full freaked out. I wondered if half the reason I was feeling nauseous and light-headed was because I was giving myself a panic-attack.


I walked in and explained what I was experiencing. The receptionist took my information and after what felt like an eternity a nurse finally came out to check my blood pressure. Then she led me into the examination room to use an EKG machine on me. She kept reassuring me that this is just standard procedure when experiencing any kind of chest pain, just to make sure one's heart isn't in any kind of distress.


After that she left and the doctor came in to ask me some questions and assess my symtpoms. He listened to my heart and said he thought he detected a slight murmur. Also he took everything else into consideration and finally offered his diagnosis- Mitrovalve prolapse (or something like that).


He explained that it is a very common condition, especially in women, and other than the odd feeling and the need to just be aware of it, my lifestyle wouldn't change. He then asked if I had an appointment with a primary care doctor yet, and when I said I did, he seemed relieved.


"You'll take this EKG result with you to show your doctor and tell them what I think it is. They'll probably want you to do another one and maybe see a cardiologist, but you'll have to see when you get there."


For the most part, I left relieved on both fronts- I wasn't crazy in thinking something weird might be going on AND it didn't sound very serious.


After a week of waiting my doctor's appointment rolled around- as in today. Of course, it wouldn't be a "me" story if it didn't involve me running late. Although I thought I was good (only like 6 minutes) I was reminded by the doctor that I was informed to be there 15 minutes BEFORE my appointment. She seemed a little perturbed by it, but I tried to apologize profusely.


With that out of the way, she got to examining me. She had me do another EKG and asked a bunch of questions I wasn't sure about like family history and describing the pain.


Incidentally, why is it that when you are out with your friends in a casual setting and they ask you about something minute you can remember the slightest details, yet when put on the spot and the topic is important you feel completely useless and brain dead?


Anyway, without giving me a definite answer as to what I have she did ask me about odd things that could be triggering it-


"Are you a coffee drinker?"


"Yes, but I just started."


"When?"


"Maybe a year."


"How many cups?"


"One a day"


"....Starbucks?"


I was taken aback by that question but she explained that Starbucks has actually the highest levels of caffeine.


When she was finished with tossing out scenarios and possible triggers she made up a game plan for me to follow- I would get some blood work done, an echo cardiogram, and a halter (a heart monitor).


I thanked her for her help and went out to make my appointments with the receptionist.


I have to admit that I was still a bit overwhelmed and nervous as I stood at the receptionist window. However that feeling was gone the second she tried to redial my insurance company and placed them on speakerphone...only to have the recording of a sassy male gay sex phone operator come blaring out and filling the room. Her eyes got as wide as saucers and we both bowled over as she scrambled to hang up the line.


It was then I had a nice little "Jerry Springer- Final Thoughts" moment- life can suck and be super scary. So much so that it's sometimes a drag. But once in a while, God, Fate or whoever, likes to drop something in front of you to remind you what's so great about life and why you want to stick around...you never know what gems you will find. Even if that something is seeing a motherly-type woman accidentaly dial a gay male sex-phone line while on speakerphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment