Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Office Donuts


Yeah I know I slacked. This time the reason is health-related; as in, I'm not feeling in the best of it. I don't know where it came from but ever since Sunday I have been feeling a bit off and then yesterday it really hit my throat. Now my throat is just dry and scratchy while my head feels likes it's locked in a vise. So for my benefit (and yours) I'll keep this brief.

I haven't been working at an office for a very long time, but I have been working at one long enough to begin to notice odd office behaviors, rituals, and fears. It's kind of like being back in high school where you feel eyes upon you, judging you, until you find a clique or social order that makes you feel comfortable for turning your back on those who are of a different (or higher) social order.

Take the break room, or even just food for that matter. I choose to go onto the kitchen/break room like a mouse- quietly and discreetly, when no one else is there, getting what I want and then hightailing it back out before anyone even realized I was there. And as I'm pretty sure I mentioned before I usually don't go in there except for my cup of coffee and the occasional refill of my water bottle- unless snacks are concerned...

Once in a while someone in the office will bring in donuts or bagels. This time it was donuts. I checked my email and there was a message that had been sent throughout the office notifying all that there were donuts in the break room. Oooh. I had a chocolate craving anyway, so this was perfect. Still, I didn't want to rush in and rush out, especially if people were in there, so I let fate be my donut-decider. I waited until it was my usual coffee break and if it so happened there was a chocolate-esque donut left, I would claim it.

I walked in and saw...two halves. Each a different flavor, they had been sliced by a knife, presumably by the one left inside the box as if to reassure anyone that someone hadn't just taken a bite and left it there. The bigger half was also the more chocolatey one, but I was still a bit hesitant. What if someone WAS coming back for that other half, or worse, someone had taken a bite. I'd look like the office weirdo who takes other people's donuts and doesn't mind eating something someone else took a bite of.

In the end I quieted my neurotic brain by grabbing the rich donut-half and walking back to my desk. I still made sure to eat every crumb...just in case of incriminating evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment