Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Town-haunted-house?


So that was weird. Maybe I've been watching too much X-files, or maybe it's just the spirit(s) of the season, but I got all kinds of freaked out last night. I'll give you the quick recap and then continue with my description of my trek to Eastern State Penitentiary...

As I was typing last night's post, I was sitting in my living, towel tightly wound around my wet hair, with just the tall living room lamp on. Joe and Georgia had gone up to bed not long ago, and I was on such a roll I figured I'd get up to bed soon myself.

Suddenly I heard what sounded like papers dropping to the floor. I quickly glanced up, and realized it had come from the kitchen. Whereas usually an odd sound will come and go so quickly your mind reasonably dismisses it, the sound lasted a good few seconds. So long in fact, that it freaked me out enough to holler up to Joe a few times. He didn't answer and I was so immediately afraid I quickly finished my sentence and closed down my comp and headed upstairs.

I walked into the bedroom, trying to not wake Joe, but because our floors are all creaky hard wood, it was hard not to. When he told me to come to bed, I asked if he had heard me calling him. He said he didn't though I thought I said it pretty loud. I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth when suddenly I heard what sounded like heavy footsteps walking up our stairs. Wanting to finally confirm that I was not crazy I yelled to Joe again.

"Did you hear that??" I asked, with a mouth full of toothpaste.

"I was cracking my ankle," he yelled back.

"No, it sounded like footsteps!"

"I didn't hear anything, but it was probably just the neighbors."

I spat out the foamy paste and rinsed my mouth. "No, it definitely sounded like it was right inside. Right up here."

He said again he didn't hear anything but when I finally came to bed he asked if it sounded like the bed moving. I said it did sound like creaking, so he recreated the motion he had done to crack his ankle. Sure enough, it sounded like creaks I had heard. Although it seemed that the mystery was solved, I still held a smidgen of doubt.

Besides, we've had other kinds weird things happening. Now, it might not seem like much, but all our light bulbs seem to be going out the same time. I guess you could imagine, rationally, that whoever installed the lights might've done so around the same time, so it would make sense for them to go out around the same time. But, as Joe pointed out, we aren't using them all the same amount. Probably nothing, but still kinda weird.

Another kinda scary thing happened yesterday as well. I have a route that Georgia and I take for our run around town. I actually don't mind it, and in some instances look forward to it; there always seems to be something new to see or people to meet. Anyway we were just about winding down when we decided to do a final loop around our block. As we were coming back around all of a sudden a big junkyard-looking dog jumped out, barked and began chasing us. My instincts told me to run, but I recalled something I had seen on "It's Me or the Dog" where Victoria Stillwell said that if a strange dog is coming after you you must remain still. (See, television CAN be educational) Luckily the advice worked like magic; as if broken from a spell the dog suddenly stopped dead in its' tracks and trotted away. I quickly scooped Georgia up and dropped her into the safety of our yard. When I relayed the story to Joe, I suddenly became nervous all over again. I thought I had met all the dogs in the neighborhood, all of which have proven to be quite tame and friendly, and this one looked neither familiar nor friendly. In fact, I didn't even spy a tag on it, so the very presence of a strange dog in a very dog-prevalent neighborhood struck me as unusual.

One of the nice things about living in apartment complexes is that you never really fear the presence of ghosts or lingering spirits, because apartments, for the most part, are for people in transition or in need of temporary lodging. But now that we are living in a townhouse, not to mention one that has been around since the 50s, I guess it's more likely that connections could exist. I dunno, but I do hope that whatever freaky stuff is happening quits it soon. Or, at the latest, November 1st.

Sorry I didn't get around to finishing the Penitentiary story. I'll make that priority numero uno for manana. Until then, g'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment