Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Lucy Love

Happy to have my Internet back but as you can see, I'm back to my old habits of waiting to the VERY last minute to post. So sorry about that.

BUT you will be happy/impressed/interested to know I have kept to my challenge of not watching TV, and speaking of that, let's get to the update...

**UPDATE**The Living Year: Day 14

Still getting by with no TV, and honestly haven't been missing it all THAT much. Like I said before, it only gets difficult at night and when Joe is out. The silence freaks me out so I have to have the radio on. Or...now don't turn on my until I explain...I've been watching old "I Love Lucy" DVDS.

Ok, I can hear you guys calling foul on me but I think I figured out a way to justify it. For one, they aren't on regular television, so I can't get sucked into the cycle of watching show after show after show, wondering where the hell my day went. Also, I realized the fact that I'm lazy is a benefit and keeps me honest. After all, it takes alot more "work" to get up, go through the different discs, and then switch one out for another (as opposed to say, picking up a book and laying horizontally for a few hours). So I really haven't been watching that many, just when Joe's at rehearsal or with his buddies.

And really, I Love Lucy is the only show I have been doing this with, and actually, I think I'm appreciating this show in a whole new way. It kinda reminds me of this article I read about ways to be healthier with food, one of which describes how you should sit and savor the foods you eat, tasting every nuance and subtlety, instead of just mindlessly shoveling it in just to satisfy your hunger.

Since I'm no longer shoveling random shit in front of my eyes, it's like I'm seeing one of my old favorite shows for the very first time, savoring every joke and admiring every delicate display of genius comedic timing. Maybe this is the old lady in me (it's a rare condition) talking, but they just don't make shows like this anymore.

Granted, sometimes the show is a little too corny or old-fashioned. Like for instance, when Lucy thinks Ricky may be screwing around with his new dancer, the worst she can call him is a "Big Stinker". Ouch, Lucy, pull back the talons.

But then again, sometimes I get a little surprised at actually how modern it can be. In another episode Ethel and Fred are arguing (little fun fact: did you know the actors who played Ethel and Fred Murtz- Vivian Vance and William Frawley- didn't get along in real life either? Vance was insulted at the idea of even pretending to be married to Frawley who was a good deal older. Frawley, in turn, often resorted to name-calling and even stalled the production of some episodes due to their bickering), and when Lucy makes a comment about it, Ethel replies, "Are you kidding? This is how we make love". I know, gasp! Even though back in that time "making love" to a person could be as innocent as kissing their hand, it HAD to still have some sexual connotations. And to hear that come out of the mouths of these black and white characters frozen in the idealistic 50s is pretty shocking. But then again, the feminist in me (she hangs out with the old lady in me) often struggles between love and hate for the show due to its time period as well.

One one hand, I see the sit-com featuring the ideal little housewife. Lucy doesn't work, she cries or wheedles to get what she wants, and has to live in fear of being cut off for buying another hat (and speaking of which, when did the idea of wearing hats go out of fashion? It seems so abrupt. Back in the day women didn't have just a snow hat, they actually wore hats for fashion. Hell, even all men wore hats. And nowadays, not so much. I dunno, just curious if anyone has any insight to why the fad faded). On the surface, she embodies everything the feminist sought to destroy. The idea that we were nothing but housekeepers and cooks, grateful as long as we had a man to take care of us, was exactly what I Love Lucy tended to perpetuate. I remember another episode where Lucy actually DOES finally achieve some show business attention and Ricky appears downtrodden and upset. He tells her he just wants "a wife who will clean the house, bring him his pipe, cook his meals, and be the 'mama' for his children". And Lucy, giving up her dream to satisfy her husband's wishes, happily complies by offering him a fresh-baked pie. I mean, what the hell is THAT? I know, I'm reading too much into that. And I could go on and on about the symbolism of that--offering him her pie....you know what I mean, but that would be neglectful of the OTHER side of the argument.

On the other hand, I see Lucille Ball as a hero- a comedienne who displayed not only beauty and charm, but the facial expressions and body movements that would rival comedians today (you hear that Jim Carrey?) She was a master at timing, hitting a joke or comment with such perfection it caught you off guard. I've seen these episodes for years now, and yet still I find myself spitting out my food and nearly choking because I was laughing so hard. One great example of this is in an episode where Lucy hosts a seance and in order to make certain their guest, Ricky's intended boss, makes contact, she sneaks off to pretend to be the voice of his beloved Tilly. Lucy accidentally sneezes, to which the boss replies, "Tilly, you are sneezing. Are you sick?" Lucy pauses for just a beat and then replies, "Sick? I'm DEAD". I know the humor is lost written out, but trust me, it's funny. I'm still smiling to myself about it. And I don't think I ever noticed that line before as much. But thanks to this little pet project I can actually enjoy these great moments of classic television.

Anyway, damnit, I keep trying to keep these things short but they just seem to run away from me. Oh well, till tomorrow beloved readers!

2 comments:

  1. I can see how you'd think Lucy is a "step back" for women, but you have to consider the time. In order to keep ratings it had to follow the similar culture of 1950s TV (i.e. Father Knows Best, The Honeymooners, etc).

    Then it was different:
    - Lucy was the lead & star of the show (I bet you skip over most of Ricky's lame musical numbers).
    - Lucy was a comedic genius and as a result had a lot of power (production company, subsequent shows...).
    - Lucy was married to a much younger Hispanic man.
    - Lucy didn't have a kid until she was 40 and was pregnant on the show (granted she was playing someone younger).
    - Lucy was goofy as hell and didn't care if she looked horrible on the show.
    - Lucy knew what she wanted and never gave up...she was always the star, despite Ricky's attempts. She used Ricky as a catalyst to meeting and becoming a star.

    Sorry for being long winded, but she was my idol growing up. Besides the bridge parties and excitement over hats and furs, she was a cool lady. :o)

    ReplyDelete