Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Culture Club

My head is a little fuzzy right now, both from fatigue and the $7 beer I had at Brewer's Art this evening at our monthly book club. I know, me Ms. Cheapo, splurged on a something I couldn't get change from a $5 on. And wouldn't you assume that it would've tasted alot better than it did? I really wanted something cherry-flavored (since we read Chekhov's plays, including "The Cherry Orchard" and we usually like to either eat, drink, or be somewhere with a connection to what we read), and thought about a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat beer.

I know what you are thinking: gross, right? On the contrary, it's very nice. Light and sweet, it reminds me of a cherry-Coke, except it will give you a buzz. And surprisingly, for a place with all these beers from around the world, they did NOT carry it. Yeah, I can hear all you cultural people saying how I should embrace the flavors of the world. Well, unless they are gonna taste better for a better price, I'll stick with good ol' Sam (I can't help it, I'm American).

Anyway, like I mentioned, we met for our monthly (sometimes over) book club meeting. My friends Erica, Lauren, and I formed it almost two years ago as a way to catch up on reading we missed back in school, and yet always still wanted to read. From then on, we've switched back and forth between a classic novel to something modern. This month was the classic words of the playwright, Anton Chekhov.

Unfortunately, old habits die hard, and sometimes I have to admit I tend to get lazy and forgetful, neglecting our assigned reading until it's almost too late; this was one of those times. I usually order the book through the inter library loan system at our library so I didn't have to actually buy it (cuz God forbid I PAY for a book...as I mentioned before, I am a bit on the 'frugal' side), AND they can ship it right to the library in my town (oh yeah, I'm lazy too). But once again, I dropped the ball and just read what I could on Sparknotes (what, that counts!) in time for the meeting today.

After spending a good ten minutes in trying to parallel park (why is it that it looks SOO easy just to swing in and park head-in but then when you try to straighten out you look like a moron moving your car backwards and forwards? I swear the people in the gym facing me must've thought I was some sort of obsessive compulsive who couldn't let the car swing in and out less than 12 times otherwise the moon would collapse) Erica came out to see what was taking me so long. She finally suggested I just move to the space up a little further, which has, as she said, "Enough room for 3 cars" a.k.a. "No possible way you'd have to actually parallel park".

*NOTE: Quick side note- I'm getting extremely irritated right now b/c my freaking fingers are NOT hitting the correct keys at all. You are reading this actually ALOT quicker than I am typing it, which is bothering me. For God's sake, I'm ON a computer ALL DAY. Wtf fingers, I'm gonna give YOU the finger. Anyway, now back to the blog in progress...

We find out the original restaurant we want to go to is either not in business anymore, or has really odd hours, so instead we walk over to the Brewer's Art, one of those yuppie-hipster restaurants. When we are joined by our last member, Krysten, and all food and drinks are ordered, we settle in to discuss the book.

As is customary for these meetings, we usually spend anywhere from 20 to 45 min talking about the details of the book (sometimes, if it was particularly interesting we might gab about it for an hour, but that seems to rarely happen). Tonight we talked about the book for about 25 minutes and then, as usual, the conversation began to extend into other areas: our jobs, school, living situations, family, etc.

Somehow we got on the subject of radio, and NPR in particular. I mentioned how I'd like to start listening to that, and to my surprise, Erica and Krysten nodded knowingly. They began listing the specific shows that were either enjoyable or annoying to them, even knowing the exact show schedule for weekday and weekend programming. I suddenly felt like the guy who realized that putting something over your head kept you clear of the rain and who goes to tell others about it, only to find they have been doing it for years.

But as I listened to them discussing which hosts did what and what kind of shows they liked best, I had a sudden flashback to being in my parent's car when I was a preteen. Since they were driving they had control of the radio, and given the choice they ALWAYS opted for talk radio. I used to snidely remark at how boring and old they were to actually enjoy listening to talk radio. And yet, here I am, actually saying the words, "I'm getting sick of my music. I think I'd like to hear the show about horticulture."

I know people are probably getting sick of me constantly using aging as a theme or topic, but I think it's the curse of being human to be forever aware of getting older. And I guess because when I was a teenager I tended to not think about it because for the most part year after year stayed (mostly) the same. But now, I can't help but see and hear the changes I am making. Somehow it happened, right under my nose and I didn't even feel it. Somehow, somewhere along the line, I became an adult.

**Update**THE LIVING YEAR: Day 7 (1 Week)

Well, it's been an official week since I gave up television. Not too much else to report. I finished one book already (and kinda sifted through a crappy magazine). I think I'll keep a running tally on how many books and magazines I go through this year, just to see how much reading one can possibly do. Erica made a good suggestion as to possibly picking up additional hobbies to help pass the time and reduce my urge for television. Listening to NPR will help (allowing me to hear talking but actually learning something from it as well), and I am going to try writing some ideas I've had tossed around in my head for years (maybe I'll add them here from time to time just to get other people's opinions on them.)

The hobbies idea is good, but other than oil painting and knitting, I can't seem to think of any other good hobbies, so I'm waiting to take suggestions. Remember, with your help, we can keep ONE girl from burning her brain out by watching television.

1 comment:

  1. how about cooking!?? thats a good use of your time and then you get to eat too.

    npr...god im over 30 and live in brooklyn and even i cant do that. bring on those housewives!

    ReplyDelete