Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Shocker


You ever shock yourself? No, I don't mean by qualifying for both the Olympics AND Mensa at the same time...and not the little b.s. static electricity kind. I mean the coursing-through-your-veins-like-Frankenstein's-monster kind of shock.

Ok, it wasn't all that severe, but it was definitely a stronger sensation than touching my computer after walking on carpet.

I was recovering from my weekend festivities last last Sunday by just taking it easy and doing some household chores. But because I'm an addict to entertainment (not just television, I've found out) I need to have something playing, be it radio or Internet. And it is because of this that I love this little laptop of mine...well, most of the time.

It's so small it's really a great travelling computer. However, the only thing that sucks is that the cable to the battery outlet has gotten loose over time. It's now super-sensitive, and if the cable is even REMOTELY unplugged, I start to rely on the battery for power, even when the whole thing is PLUGGED into the outlet.

And as easy as the cord to the battery slips out, the more difficult the cord to the outlet is to unplug. I was shifting my actions from the living room to the kitchen, and so I went to unplug the cord into the power strip outlet. I tried at first to simply grip the plastic part of the cord, but when that proved difficult I used my finger to push it out the rest of the way...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I felt a strong charge zip right through my thumb and forefinger so quickly I took me a few seconds to actually shout the word, "Ow!" It literally felt like my hand had been shaken ferociously for a good few seconds and as I looked down my two fingers were red, but that was all the evidence I saw.

I must admit I was quite shy about touching that cord again...at least for a few minutes. But I'm not a totally dumb lab rat. The next time I will remember to use my hand as just an extractor...not a freaking conductor.

No comments:

Post a Comment