Thursday, February 24, 2011

Keep The Old...


Can't tell if this fatigue I'm feeling is just end-of-week related, or lots-of-stuff-happening related or simply I-went-out-last-night-and-had-a-few-beers-and-some-whiskey-drink related, but anyway, I am lethargic.

But I haven't written in a few days, so let's catch up.

I got a message on facebook from an old childhood friend that's touring with Seussical the Musical and she said that their company was coming to Towson. When she had first posted that she was touring I mentioned to her to let me know if and when they come to the Baltimore/Washington area. Needless to say I was surprised they were not only coming to the area, but coming right into my neighborhood! We organized a time for me to pick her up from her hotel and we'd get dinner while catching up. I was excited, but truthfully a bit nervous as well.

I think it was because she IS a girl I have known most of my life, living in the same town and going to the same schools for all those years. She has seen me at my best (and worst), and yet, being adults now, I wanted to make sure I left a good impression, reminding her of my better moments, as opposed to my most awkward. It is here that I must pose a question..

It might have been a Louis C.K. joke, but still, don't you HATE it when you do something stupid, and even though it's not a big deal, you still just want to kill yourself? Wait for it...

I tried to think of a place near Towson that might impress her (although since she lives in New York, I knew it was going to be a challenge) and quickly turned into Razorbacks, a restaurant/bar nearby.

As we walked in and waited for the hostess, I felt pretty good. I was holding my own in our conversations, trading comments and quips like the old days. Then the hostess came back up and mumbled something while gathering menus. Because she was looking at us and holding the menus I immediately began following her, assuming she was taking us to our table.

I noticed my friend lagging behind and when my head finally came out of the clouds I realized I had nearly joined another group to their table. The other people smiled and laughed sympathetically (at the poor idiot girl), and I rejoined my friend, trying like hell to make it seem like it wasn't a big deal (meanwhile I was mentally tying a noose around my neck).

Thankfully we were both able to laugh it off, and my friend, god love her, was able to bring us right back to whatever we were talking about.

Oh well, friends, especially old friends, are still your friends because they share a ride in your memories. And they are still able to like you...even when you unintentionally nearly ditch them for a pack of hungry strangers.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Oh KB...you make me laugh!! So glad to have shared that dinner with you! Had so much fun catching up! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete