Thursday, February 3, 2011

Initial Disagreement


What's the deal with bands using initials when their band name don't merit them? Allow me to explain...

I was at work today listing to the radio station through my headphones, as always, when something caught my attention. Now I am still in the process of being able to half listen while concentrating on whatever it is I'm doing (or, at least whatever I'm supposed to be doing...what do I do again? Oh well, nevermind...) but something stuck out enough for me to mentally grab it and mull it over.

There's a contest going on right now that lets you win passes to the Linkin Park concert, but instead of saying "Linkin Park"again, they just said "LP".

Seriously? The band's entire name is only three syllables. Are we so lazy now that saying that many syllables is a burden?

Maybe the script-writer or whatever was thinking that they didn't want the announcer to say "Linkin Park" over and over again, which I can understand. But what's the deal with Avenged Sevenfold calling themselves A7S? I swear the first time I heard that I thought, who's that? Is that a new band? It confused me for a while, I won't lie, but when I found out it was the same lame band, I just got pissed. If they want to have a "7" in their name, why don't they just put it there in the first place?? Call yourselves Avenged 7 Fold or shorten it to ASF or even just AS since I'm pretty sure they use one word for Sevenfold.

At least with other bands, I can understand why they'd utilize initials. It's alot easier to put BTO on a t-shirt instead of Bachman Turner Overdrive and they save a bundle on marquee letters by putting ELO instead of Electric Light Orchestra.

I know I'm sounding like Andy Rooney (a.k.a. an old fart, fuddy-duddy, curmudgeon or anything else that would describe a 89 year old man named Mortimer), but I really just don't see the point to use initials for something so brief. And speaking of brief, you like the under 1,000 word post? I'm getting better (and see? Sometimes it pays when I have absolutely nothing else to talk about!) lol.
Fear not, I'm sure I'll get screwed by something this weekend. Tune in Monday to find out what.

Have a great weekend everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment