Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Serial Craver


*AMENDMENT* I apologize for this late submission. I actually had this one almost completely done but I got distracted (see today's later post). I know I keep dropping the ball here, but just to show my thanks at your continued readership I'm writing an additional post today for a Double Feature for Hump Day. Does that make me sound too pretentious? Ahh whatever just enjoy my rant...

I'm what you might call a serial "craver". I go through phases when I am dying for very specific things from very specific places, and they often take turns. And since all I can think about is food right now (and one item in particular), I think that is what today's blog is gonna be about...the many craves of mine. (And if you have any near and dear to your heart -and stomach- please post them as comments).
They are as follows, and in no particular order (except the one I keep thinking about right now...)

1.) Shepherd's Pie from Ryan's Daughter- Now, I apologize to those of you non-Maryland locals who can not visit this establishment which is not only great for an Irish pint, but because they serve up the most delicious savory shepherd's pie I think I've ever tasted. A basic shepherd's pie (in the states at least) is usually ground beef with vegetables coated in a thick layer of mashed potatoes, as many of you know. But this thing is beyond just meat and potatoes. I think what makes this dish so craveable is the combination of the gravy and the bread crust that envelopes it, which has the perfect amount of crunch and softness. God, it is so good, you will be full but still stuffing your face. Awesome. And how I want one right NOW.

2.) The lunch buffet at India Palace- This is a craving I have usually for weeks, but only get to indulge in when the timing is right. I never thought I'd like Indian food, but if this is a good representation, then I'm a huge fan. I'm cursing all the years I spent up here in Timonium and did NOT take more advantage of this place- especially since I live in Towson now. It's also a great deal if you can make it to the lunch buffet, which is only $8 for all you can eat. I always start with a small cup of the Mulligatawny soup with a samosa, followed by a plate of naan, basmati rice, vegetable korma, and saag chicken. I wait a few minutes and then get my last plate of chicken tikka masala, along with more rice and naan (and usually a small dollop of more saag). They sometimes switch some things out, but those are pretty much the staples..which you will to do to your pants after you are done. But because alot of it is vegetarian, you can almost justify the couple of trips up to the buffet.

3.) Two soft and one hard taco from Chipotle- I became a fan of Chipotle only recently. Anytime I told someone I'd never been there would look at me aghast, saying that it was soooo good. Well, one day I got a hankering, and since Joe's not a huge Mexican food fan, I figured I'd give it a try while he was at band practice. Sick of burritos, I opted instead for their tacos, filling them with the barbacoa and carnitas, rice, beans, and topped with some of their spicy red salsa (I used to go for the basic tomato one, but I realized that the spicy was what was missing). Despite my mouth being in fire hours later, there's something about that mix of savory meat and heat made for an easily craveable combo. I find myself wanting it at least once a week, but I try to wait until my tongue forgets the burn and remembers the taste...burn baby burn.

4.) Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich, Potato Wedges, and Greens (with an Arnold Palmer) from Andy Nelson's- Many many many thanks have to go to Ashley who introduced me to this place a couple of years ago, and it's been love ever since. I get a mad-crazy/beautiful "jonesin' for this exact meal about every two weeks. Again, it's the kind of food that you literally can't stop eating, it's so good. I never thought I was much of a BBQ person, but then again I don't think I've ever had pork that succulent (that's such a great word but so rarely is it warranted or fitting). Also, I always get the Reg Xpress, which includes the drink and two sides, so really it's a deal. I always get an Arnold Palmer (and for those of you not in the "know", that's lemonade-iced tea...now you know, and knowing is half the battle...), so that's not a difficult decision. The thing that SUCKS is that you only get two sides with the Reg X, and while I always go for the meaty thick wedges and tangy spicy greens I look at the sweet cornbread with longing and a slight tear in my eye. Ok, maybe a little over dramatic, but DAMN is it good.
U hungry yet? I know I am, why don't you go get something to eat...I'm just gonna sit here and fantasize that these carrot sticks are shepherd's pie, but something tells me it's just not gonna be the same.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that I helped you accomplish two of these in the last couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete