Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Dressing Down



The past few days have proven to me that sometimes I really do feel like I'm in a Seinfeld episode. I'm sure these situations happen to all of us, but I have the benefit of having nothing better to do than relate my experiences here, and hopefully, squeeze a chuckle out of somebody in the process. So here we go...


A few days ago I was walked into Target looking for a few filler gifts for Joe's birthday. You know, the kind of gifts that aren't supposed to be the MAIN focus, but are just a few odds and ends things the person could use.


As I walked past the women's clothing section, I was really trying to keep my focus away from shopping from myself when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I spied something purple. It was a sassy plum purple sundress with black piping and a corset-like top. It was actually close to my size (score!) AND on clearence for only $12 (shoot score!!). I knew that I was really there for Joe, but since I was taking him to a nice dinner I felt justified in getting a snazzy new dress for the occasion. Especially when I'd get change back from a $20- I LOVE that (cheap-ass that I am).


I head to the fitting room and take my plastic card, noticing I am the ONLY customer in there. As I'm assessing the dress I suddenly hear outside over at the fitting room attendant's desk, the attendant answering her phone.


"Hello?" she said, bright and chipper. Then there is a long pause.


".....What?.....What?.....WHAT!?", her voice suddenly becomes strained and choked up. And in mid-pose in front of my mirror, I froze.


Another quieter voice came over to her and I heard the attendant say, "My cousin just OD-ed...he was only 15..."


Now, my heart goes out to the poor girl at the horrible tragedy that has befallen her family, but I can't help but selfishly begin to worry about my own vain needs.


I am standing in a dressing room wearing a dress I decide not to buy, and unsure as to how to possibly get out without looking like an ass. I'm on a time crunch, so I really can't dally here all day. Yet, I feel weird bursting through the door and declaring to the devastated girl that I've changed my mind on the $12 dress and thanks anyway, pretending I didn't hear what she just revealed.


Then again, I feel weird somberly coming up with the dress and slowly handing it over, acknowledging the fact that I heard something so personal and sad.


I finally decide to split the difference and come out but remain pretty quiet.


Thankfully, the other attendants took her spot while another employee walked away with her to give her some privacy. I definitely still felt like a jackhole being the one customer actually trying things on at such an early hour and making them have to acknowledge me.


Maybe it would've been better if I had walked by handing over the card and just bought the dress....I still would've gotten change from a $20...

No comments:

Post a Comment