Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Adulthood Lite



First off, salutations and many thanks to Mel, my 10th follower! Hooray, I made it to double digits!


Ok, as promised, I'm going to try and continue to keep these posts short so as not to bore any poor soul taking the time to read this...


I think I have made it abundantly clear that I have no interest in becoming an adult- I don't like the responsibility. And nothing proves that more than trying to deal with a house.


Don't get me wrong; I do love the space and being near alot of stuff (plus I'm renting, so it hardly counts. It's more like Diet Home-ownership- all the drama but half the responsibility).


Take this as an example...


I was finally catching up on some much-needed laundry and when I went down in the basement where our laundry machines were to switch loads I was met with a small pool emerging on the floor.


Before thinking about where the water was coming from I looked around to see what was at water-risk. Luckily we had invested in hard plastic crates for storage (including my entire spring and summer wardrobe). Unluckily, we do have a few cardboard boxes that (though they seem away from the water) have soaked up some of the water AND are a pain to get to.


I decided to worry about those things later and instead indulged in a nice helping of panic that the water would get to Joe's equipment.


I didn't see any moisture on his studio-side, but I still called him to warn him.


"Did you check the laundry-water pipe? The last time this happened it was because it had popped out of the laundry sink."


I had no idea what he was talking about so I went to check the washer. Sure enough, the black plastic foldable pipe was pointing up on the floor, where the water must have gushed out like a small geyser.

I stood around looking at this mess for a good minute, unsure what to do and/or where to begin, and cursing the fact that I had no mother or father around to deal with it. Stupid adulthood.


Joe eventually came home, and with a combined effort of towels and wet-vac (which I'm beginning to think was purposely bought by the owners for scenarios just like this) we managed to sop up as much water as possible.


Only things still left to deal with are a few (now moldy) boxes, but really, how long did I want a few notebooks from high school, a dozen dried-up white-out pens, and a VHS of "Billy Madison"?

2 comments:

  1. You know SOMEONE would LOVE a white-out pen. Thanks for the salutations and no need to thank me. It is truly a pleasure to read your poignant observations which are always so eloquently expressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw such kind words I do not deserve, but thank you nonetheless.

    And by the way...she just wants a friend. lol

    ReplyDelete