Thursday, March 24, 2011

Service with an Evil Smile


Yes, let me address my own discontent with this frigid weather we are having. It sucks, and it sucks even more because we were taunted with the delightful mild temperatures not but 7 days ago, and now they are calling for snow.

I am quite perturbed at this prospect except for one reason: the possibility of getting out of playing football on Sunday. True by the end (and after my glorious catch) I was having fun. But the idea of playing again...in the cold...and without my fellow female friend/player has me wishing the snow on. I apologize to those willing the opposite to occur.

So I have been absent here because I was catching up on a few tasks I had been putting off (or plain old forgot about). And the theme behind tonight's post is- people who are kind but suck at the same time. You'll get it as you read along...

I was getting something out of the fridge the other day and happened to look up, noticing my appointment card for my dentist. I couldn't believe it had been 6 months already.

It was a blessing and a curse; a blessing because maybe I could set up an appointment to get my tooth sensitivity taken care of once and for all, and a curse because I feared the physical and financial pain to do so.

I went in and was immediately greeted by the receptionist. I then waited a few moments before being called back into the dentist's chair. The hygenist was extremely nice and when she asked if I had had any problems I immediately explained my sensitivity. She said after she was finished with my cleaning she would call the dentist in and see what she could do.

After she was finished my dentist came in I again I launched into a plea about how nothing had been helping and I was really looking for something to permanently help. She offered the idea of getting my teeth bonded, and when she realized she could do it right then, I was whisked away into another room.

Now let me explain, going back to the theme of this post, that everyone in that office is extremely and thoroughly nice and personable. They are great. Which makes it really hard to hate them when it feels like they are employing ancient techniques of dental torture.

The process basically consisted of taking every single painful instance I got from eating something too hot or cold and concentrating it into 4 or 5 minutes of horrifying excruciation. In order to put the material on my teeth she needed to clean and dry the surface. How, you make ask? By blowing chilly air and water directly on my exposed nerve.

I almost wanted to vomit a bit, but the dentist and her assistant were so sweet and kind I didn't want to come off as a bad patient. So I lay there, helpless, and with my mouth agape, praying for the end to come.

Happily it did end rather briefly, but the jury is still out on the sensitivity.

Then later I (thought) I had an appointment to get my oil changed. I had set-up an appointment online and even received confirmation through my email. So I was quite surprised when I had hauled ass to make my appointment only to find out that they had no record of it.

"Um, no, don't see you listed here," the mechanic explained, a wonderfully kind man.

"I don't suppose you'd be able to fit me in anyway?" I asked hopefully.

"Unfortunately I can't," he said smiling. I was disappointed but I couldn't feel that bad when he was making me smile and being so understanding.

So what have we learned? Nice guys finish last. Or they screw you over. But at least they make you smile while doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment