Thursday, January 6, 2011

Staind


In case anyone was wondering the story behind my wall post on facebook yesterday (and why I didn't bother to post anything here last night) here it is...

About a month and a half ago I was changing the bed and noticed a dark yellow stain on our brand new mattress. It didn't feel wet nor did it smell, so I (stupidly) wrote it off as just an odd stain and ignored it.

A few weeks went by and I had pretty much completely forgotten about the stain. Then one night I was playing with Georgia on our bed and folding laundry when she suddenly turned around a few times (as if she was getting ready to curl up and nod off) and peed on our bed...right in front of me! I thankfully caught her in time to shoo her off the bed and gathered up the comforter before it could sink even to the sheets. I scolded her strongly, but was relieved that at least I managed to save the mattress and other linens. Again, my mind simply wrote it off as either a freak accident or the fault of a full and overly excited puppy bladder, nothing more. Until last night...

Though I was certain it was just a one-time incident, I still became obsessed with just checking the bed to make sure she hadn't had the same "accident". The other night I was walking back into the bedroom and petting Georgia when my hand did a casual swipe on the comforter...and hit a wet spot.

Panic stricken I yanked the dog off the bed and began furiously pulling up the sheets, in a race against time and urine before it seeped into the mattress itself. Sadly, I was too late...

Georgia had been naughty a few times this past week anyway, so we can't be sure if this is a dominance thing, a retaliation thing, or even a medical thing. All I know is that my heart was broken a little about this: not just because it seems like a slap in the face for all the good we've done for her and not just because this is something I really didn't see coming. It's because we JUST bought that mattress!! In a way, that thing was the first purchase Joe and I made together with our own money for our place. It represented a small step towards maturity and partnership. Unfortunately the dog has figuratively and literally pissed all over it. Grr.

If anyone out there has any experience with this kind of behavior (or better still, has tips on how to curb it) post theme here or on facebook.

That's it for me tonight guys (I KNOW, less than 1,000 words, what a treat!). Good night, sleep tight, don't let the dog pee on your mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment