Monday, January 10, 2011

Great Moments in Gluttony


I was using some pretzel sticks to sop up my leftover genetically reconstructed animal-victual yeast (or g.r.a.v.y.) from my microwave meal and realized I am a certified practitioner of gluttony. I suddenly had a flash to the odd meals and food combos that I secretly love, but am afraid to tell people about. But then I thought it might make for a good blog post, so here you are- my worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) gluttonous foods...

1.) Bagel + Fries- I discovered this hidden delectable delight back in middle school when my friends and I were allowed to leave for lunch and we would hit our favorite spot- a small luncheonette that looked as if the walls themselves had been deep fried and real older women named Maude and Blanche were working as waitresses. You know those places where they have the candy machines with candy they haven't manufactured since before Nixon was in office. Anyway, one day I was craving a bagel, but my friend's fries tasted so good I decided to put them together- and behold the fry-bagel. What was best about this was that the fries would melt the butter (yes, I'd still cover the bagel in butter too--gettin hungry/sick yet?). Buttery, salty, chewy, crispy goodness.

2.) Pizza + Fries- It's probably not healthy to use fries as a condiment, but whatever. Again, this was a food match I made in middle school when the luncheonette closed and we still didn't want to stay at school during lunch, so we walked to the town's pizzeria. In Jersey, people like to fold their pizza in half, so one day I was again coveting my friend's fries and decided to roll a few up in my pizza....mmmm. Got that same salty and potatoey taste but wrapped in tomato sauce and cheese. I could have a heart attack just thinking about it...and I probably will.

3.) Mint chocolate chip (the green kind) + mini gummy bears- Can't right off recall where this one came from, but I do know exactly how this is supposed to taste. For one, though there may be no OBVIOUS difference, it MUST be the green kind of mint chocolate chip. As specific as that is, I am even more a stickler for the gummy bears. They must must MUST be the teeny tiny mini kind. I've tried to get the same effect with the big bears, but the ratio is just all wrong. The problem is there aren't enough ice cream places that carry the mini gummy bears. So far the only consistent place I've seen them is Friendly's. Just another reason to keep that dated old diner alive.

4.) Peanuts + cherry slurpy- This is, without a doubt, my holy grail food; a combo I discovered YEARS ago but have yet to ever duplicate the exact taste. I stumbled upon this one on a family road trip. My dad stopped for gas and snacks so I went along inside too, buying myself a cherry slurpy. It was my turn to sit up front so I was given the privilege of having my slurpy right next to my dad's drink and his bag of peanuts. I was helping myself to a few when I dropped one accidentally in my slurpy cup. I fished it out and was amazed at the taste- sweet and cold mixed with salty and crunchy. I began dipping peanuts in the drink like chips into salsa whenever my dad wasn't looking. My family didn't seem to understand nor appreciate my culinary discovery but ever since then, every time I happen to remember to get one I forget about the other. One day I'll have to make the conscious effort to relive that taste again.

Think you have some weirder/tastier food concoctions? Post them below or as comments on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment