Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Deal or No Deal


So Joe went off to bed and before I went too I decided to just briefly scan the listings on Vehix.com. As I went through page after page of posts that I had already checked and cast off, I came across two new ones. So new that the listings had barely any info about them- no pic and no exact location.

But the basic specs were there- one was for another Ford Sportage, older but with less mileage, while the other was another 2005 Hyundai Tuscon. My eyes jumped to the Tuscon immediately, especially when I saw the price. Then I looked at the next major thing on my checklist, the mileage, and frowned. At over 90k miles, I knew it would be a stretch.

Still, the price was within my range so I filled out a request for more information and when the email came I immediately wrote back.

The next day Joe and I planned how the day would go- we would visit two more dealerships and if I still didn't see anything I liked I would reconsider the Sportage I had ridden the previous night. First up for the day was a Honda CRV.

Honda CRV-
PROS: Reliable make and model. Price was (somewhat) reasonable. Very low mileage.
CONS: Old (2002). Nothing exciting and ugly color.

We pulled up to the dealership and met with the salesman. He explained that the car was either being inspected or had been sold off, so he left us to find out. We stood around inside the small used-car building for a good 15-20 minutes. He then returned, said they were still looking for it, and went back out.
Meanwhile I began to get a little impatient. Not with the salesman, but I realized I was getting more excited to see the Tuscon than this car, so since he still hadn't located it, and Joe had to be back at a certain time to get ready for his show, the salesman suggested we return in an hour and by then they will have located it.

So we hopped back in my sloppy jalopy and headed for the Tuscon.

Hyundai Tuscon-
PROS: Well within my price range. Newer year. Ranked well in Consumer Reports and Edmunds.
CONS: High mileage. Bigger engine.

We pulled up the next place on fumes and walked in to be greeted by David, the salesman here. He seemed excited to show us a couple of other cars while another person was looking at the Tuscon. Finally they left, and without putting any kind of money down to hold the car, so it was our turn. He walked us out to it and I was in love- small and sporty, yet roomy inside. Easily foldable back seat. Privacy partition in the back. Trunk and window separately open. Heated leather seats...AND a SUNROOF! Even a pocket to put my sunglasses. I was sold.

Thankfully I had test-driven two Tuscons already and driving this one reminded me again why I liked them. They are so smooth, really like driving a car, not necessarily a truck. Joe and I drove along the highway, even to higher speeds, and the Tuscon just glided easily under my hands.

When we pulled back into the dealership Joe tried to coach me into having a poker face, which eventually fell by the wayside. I soon became a yammering yes-doll. Thankfully Joe was there to ask the questions I should've been asking, and we actually didn't get ripped off- well almost.

The thrilling conclusion tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment