Monday, June 6, 2011

The Living Year- The Final Countdown



Well, looks like I'm at the home stretch when it comes to this TV challenge of mine. I'm sure there are several friends and family that will be glad I will no longer be chained to my unchaining of television. And I do also realize and admit that in some aspects I might've cheated a touch with the whole Netflix thing (but hey, even addicts sometimes need something to help them wean off).


Still, the basics of the challenge were upheld- I watched no reruns of shows I used to watch obsessively, I watched no network or cable shows currently available, no commercials, and no aimless and pointless hours of just "watching whatever is on." These are things I still hope to not do (or at least do so much) however, there are some things I AM looking forward to once I rejoin the rest of the television viewing world-


1.) Soccer/football: And no, I'm not trying to be pretentious by covering both terms for the same sport. I really mean both soccer and football. Soccer, because I recently discovered my home team (or at least English adopted home team) Norwich City is back in the Premiere English league. They are huge underdogs and I always did enjoy catching a game or two, so now that they are in the major league I'll have an easier time of finding a place to watch their games.


Though I doubt I'll ever be what you call a "hard-core" fan of football, I still couldn't help getting all jazzed and excited when football season was abound, even without seeing any of the games. The attitude of the city seems so much more positive, especially when the Ravens do so well, and I really can't wait to join in the cheering and comradery, even if I don't know what's going on.


2.) Movie previews: This is one that I'm sure might be short-lived, but I can't help but miss seeing the newest movie trailers. Joe and I have been so cut-off that anytime we want to go to the movies we are really going in with absolutely no preconceived notions. I know after a while of seeing the same damn trailers I'll be glad to take another year off of TV, but for now, bring on all the Super 8 previews!


3.) Breaking news stories: I'm sure this could be said about all years, but this year really felt to be such a big news year and I was unable to see any of it in video form. Though I have garnered a new appreciation for the written and spoken word, there is still something to be said about the instance amazement provided by video clips. From the miners to Bin Laden and all the weather and natural disasters- it's been a year of words.


I'm sure there are other things that I will be glad to welcome back into my life, just as long as those things aren't Golden Girls and Friends marathons anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment